Monday, July 7, 2014

The Lottery

I saw a preview for this new Lifetime tv series titled "The Lottery." It stars actress Marley Shelton as Dr.Alison Lennon*.  Due to the reading I did when I was younger, my mind immediately jumped to the old book about the people who draw a name from a bucket to decide who gets sacrificed for the harvest. However, that does not appear to be at all what this is about.

It has been 5 years since a child has been born, and there are only a few dozen 6 year old children. This immediately brings to mind the 2006 movie and 1992 novel "Children of Men."  This particular series appears to focus on the US, and I am not sure if it will ever shift focus to any other portion of the world. From the looks of the pilot preview, a female scientist has managed to fertilize some eggs, and basically politicians are trying to decide whether or not to let anyone have those embryos.

I am worried that it will just become a play on "Children of Men," and not really stand out as truly original. However, I have decided to leave my final opinion for when it airs. Currently the pilot is scheduled to air July 20th, 2014. Lifetime seems to have currently scheduled it for 10 episodes. Of course, this also leaves me worried that I will get into the series, love it, and then they will decide to dump it. Fox did this to "Almost Human," and many sci-fi fans remember when Fox was also a major douchebag and decided to cancel "Firefly." Yes, I realize that was Fox and this is Lifetime, but in the end all broadcasters are bad about not seeing the true potential of a series and just kicking down right as it is about to really get going.

*Found this bit of information and the number of episodes at the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery_(TV_series)

No comments:

Post a Comment